Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tmitra

EXTREMELY dissatisfied Siti Broadband user here.

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3

    Smile EXTREMELY dissatisfied Siti Broadband user here.

    So I pay for a connection that *supposedly* offers 256 KBPS. But for the love of god, speed never go above 45. At night, it goes around 72 KBPS. I mean, WTF? The lying kneeguh's, 256 KBPS ?!?! They can kiss my ass.

    Anyway, the purpose of this thread was partially to release my anger, and partially to, well, ask for help. My ISP uses Elitecore's 24x7 client. Apparently, it has some bugs. Anybody care to explain what those are? Additionally, is there any way speed can be increased? Its an ultra n00b-ish question, agreed, but hey, there are always possibilities Can the speeds be increased? Uncapping? Anything ?!?!

    Thirdly, what are some good ISP's in Kolkata? I want unlimited internet usage, decent speed, and well, not much downtime. Price range is about Rs 600. Don't even think about Rs 900 or similar packages, I'm 13 and my mom pays for my internet.

  2. #2
    Guardian Angel just4kix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    11,632

    Default

    256 KBPS means 2 mbps. That is the theoratical maximum speed. You should be getting at least 200 kBps. You should complain and if that does not work, terminate the connection. Most cable broadband providers are guily of not providing promised speed.

    At the budget you have, and what you want, there are no unlimited usage plans that suit you. You can opt for:

    a) BBG FN Combo 600: Rs. 600 + tax. This is a 2.5 GB plan. You get unlimited usage at night during 2 AM to 8 AM. Modem restart is required at 2 AM and 8 Am.

    b) UL750: Rs. 750+tax. Unlimited usage 24x7, 512 kbps (64 kBps).
    *** Never argue with an idiot. ***

    All my useful articles and Guides | My DVDs | My Blu-Rays | My Blogs
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by just4kix View Post
    256 KBPS means 2 mbps. That is the theoratical maximum speed. You should be getting at least 200 kBps. You should complain and if that does not work, terminate the connection. Most cable broadband providers are guily of not providing promised speed.

    At the budget you have, and what you want, there are no unlimited usage plans that suit you. You can opt for:

    a) BBG FN Combo 600: Rs. 600 + tax. This is a 2.5 GB plan. You get unlimited usage at night during 2 AM to 8 AM. Modem restart is required at 2 AM and 8 Am.

    b) UL750: Rs. 750+tax. Unlimited usage 24x7, 512 kbps (64 kBps).
    Actually my PLAN says 256 KBPS. This is the link to the package plans:
    sitibroadband.in/plan.php
    My package is Siti Home Max.

    And I need unlimited usage. Even with my current Internet, monthly usage is around 20 GB. Sometimes its as high as 25 GB, sometimes as low as 15 GB. My mom wont allow downloading in the night. I know, its dumb but cant argue with her since she seriously lacks "logic" of any kind.

  4. #4
    Guardian Angel just4kix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    11,632

    Default

    SITI HOME MAX 256 Kbps UNLIMITED 30 days 390.00 430.00
    This is Kbps - which means kilo bits per second. When you download stuff from internet, the computer shows speed in KBps or kilo bytes per second.

    These are completely different: 1 KBps = 8 Kbps. So 256 Kbps = 32 KBps.

    I think you are getting the correct/promised speed.
    *** Never argue with an idiot. ***

    All my useful articles and Guides | My DVDs | My Blu-Rays | My Blogs
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    28

    Default

    You need to know ,when they say kbps, its not kilo bytes per sec, but kilo BITS per sec.
    Its just marketing crap
    256 is like gprs speed, u should get max 30kbytes down speed.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    28

    Default

    I dont know about your place, but here in mumbai, for 500bucks u get 512kbps ie 60kbs unlimited down speed by mtnl or cable

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by azap3 View Post
    I dont know about your place, but here in mumbai, for 500bucks u get 512kbps ie 60kbs unlimited down speed by mtnl or cable
    You make me jealous

  8. #8
    Guardian Angel just4kix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    11,632

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by azap3 View Post
    You need to know ,when they say kbps, its not kilo bytes per sec, but kilo BITS per sec.
    Its just marketing crap
    256 is like gprs speed, u should get max 30kbytes down speed.
    This is not a marketing crap. Everywhere in the world the ISP speed is denoted in bits like Kbps or Mbps or Gbps. It always means "bits". It is a common assumption made by others that "b = bytes".

    Something similar happens with hard disk drive or pen drives or zip drives, etc. The manufacturers when then say 1 KB then mean 1000 bytes and not 1024 bytes. For example, suppose you buy a 1 TB hard disk. What you get is 1,000,000,000,000 bytes of disk space. Connect this disk to your computer and instead of seeing 1024 GB, the computer will report 931.32 GB - a whopping loss of about 93 GB.

    If you complain, you will get the reply that some space is lost after formating. Not true at all. Divide 1,000,000,000,000 by 1024 three times in succession and you will see what I mean.
    *** Never argue with an idiot. ***

    All my useful articles and Guides | My DVDs | My Blu-Rays | My Blogs
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by just4kix View Post
    This is Kbps - which means kilo bits per second. When you download stuff from internet, the computer shows speed in KBps or kilo bytes per second.

    These are completely different: 1 KBps = 8 Kbps. So 256 Kbps = 32 KBps.

    I think you are getting the correct/promised speed.

    U r absolutely right. Dis is d main fact.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Not saying that this ISP is better than others but I am using 1Mbps unlimited plan and I get the full promised speed with 2 Mbps at night i.e 130 KBPS and 250 KBPS respectively.....

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    11

    Default

    does ur plan say : BAndwidth 256KBps?? if so, then ur avg download speed shall be around 256/8 = 32KBps....

    Other good ISP's in Kolkata :
    (ranking based on user experience)

    1. ALLIANCE Broadband
    2. Meghbela Broadband
    3. Wishnet Broadband

    everyone has plans in ur budget, so take a pick!

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1

    Default

    You got a real mouth on you, kid!
    And how hilarious that is, that you got no idea that you were actually getting more speed than the promised one! Yeah
    Last edited by Admin; 27th May 2013 at 07:38 PM. Reason: removed quoted text as the post has already been deleted

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gotestra View Post
    So I pay for a connection that *supposedly* offers 256 KBPS. But for the love of god, speed never go above 45. At night, it goes around 72 KBPS. I mean, WTF? The lying kneeguh's, 256 KBPS ?!?! They can kiss my ass.

    Anyway, the purpose of this thread was partially to release my anger, and partially to, well, ask for help. My ISP uses Elitecore's 24x7 client. Apparently, it has some bugs. Anybody care to explain what those are? Additionally, is there any way speed can be increased? Its an ultra n00b-ish question, agreed, but hey, there are always possibilities Can the speeds be increased? Uncapping? Anything ?!?!

    Thirdly, what are some good ISP's in Kolkata? I want unlimited internet usage, decent speed, and well, not much downtime. Price range is about Rs 600. Don't even think about Rs 900 or similar packages, I'm 13 and my mom pays for my internet.
    In Kolkata(where I live too), Sify offers 256 Kbps on these of type plan i.e. max download speed will be 32 KB/s. But now-a-days Sify has been totally bullshit regarding their speed performances. I don't know why you have chosen Sify over BSNL as the latter gives a constant performance according to their promises. The plan that suits you most is: BSNL's Rs.525 Unlimited at 512 kbps (first 4 GB) and 256 kbps (after 4 GB to unlimited). And do NOT let them kick your ass anymore!
    Admin likes this.

Similar Threads

  1. Siti Broadband
    By pandeyashwin in forum Cable Internet Services
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22nd March 2015, 08:17 PM
  2. SITI Broadband Delhi
    By gopszen in forum Cable Internet Services
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 18th March 2015, 01:29 PM
  3. How to HACK SITI BROADBAND User's net
    By tempd in forum Broadband How to
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 3rd August 2014, 04:44 AM
  4. WiFi on Siti Broadband
    By skedia in forum Modems and Routers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 16th December 2012, 04:57 PM
  5. [Complaint]Siti Broadband
    By xavier666 in forum DSL Broadband Service Providers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 6th February 2012, 09:37 AM
小草青青视频免费观看